Dallas Running Club 15k

If you know me IRL (that’s in real life, for those of you not up to date on your acronyms), you know that I grew up in Dallas, but have lived in Houston for the past 7 years.

This weekend I went home to Dallas because my brother came back to Texas to see my grandmother (I’ll tell you more about her next week) and go to the Cowboys game. After what turned out to be a very exhausting day of travel (I left at 2:45 am and arrived around 11 pm), I arrived incredibly worn out. Long story short, there was a ton of traffic and I left my entire wallet in Houston (which is still missing, but that’s another story), so I had ONE dollar, which was absolutely terrifying and stressful. After eating a very late dinner with my mom, I went straight to bed and woke up at 5 am to run the Dallas Running Club 15k.

When I arrived at Winfrey Point on White Rock Lake, the temperature was a balmy 82 degrees. I picked up my race bib, stretched and headed to the starting line.  The clouds to the North were dark and foreboding, but it appeared that we were going to out run the rain (for what it’s worth, I enjoy rain runs as long as it’s over 80 degrees).

Winfrey Point View

The view from Winfrey Point, and the starting line.

Before I started the race, I had set a goal to run one extra mile after the race because Ineeded a little bit longer distance this week because I’m preparing to run the Dallas Marathon about a month and a half before the Chevron Houston Marathon. The race started and I ran the first 6 miles at a pretty decent (for me) 8:50 mile pace. Something I like to do during a race, is pick out someone that is my same speed and under no circumstances, let them beat me. It’s a good way for me to stay motivated and it helps to keep a steady pace. So I picked a waifish girl with strawberry blonde hair and pitted myself against her (in my mind).

Around mile 6, I started to have some trouble.  On Friday morning, I drank coffee (because at 2:45am you need something to keep you awake on the road), which is a diuretic and causes me to convince myself that I have an extreme case of OAB (this probably has something to do with the fact that I sell a drug that treats OAB, thus becoming a borderline hypochondriac every time I need to void). I hit mile 6.2 and all I wanted to do was go to the bathroom, but there wasn’t a port-o-potty in sight. I was forced with the decision to either pee in my pants (which I’ve only done once before while running, and it was accidental. TMI?), or pop a squat and hope no one was offended by nature calling my name. I opted for the latter.

Right as I was slowing down because I was in so much pain from my full bladder, I spotted a port-o-potty (I actually think angels started singing, it was such a glorious moment), and made my way over. It was surprisingly clean (considering it was public and on the lake), so I did my business and picked back up on my run.

About this time, the wind started to whistle, and I could see the impending storm was getting much closer to the lake (this race was one full loop around White Rock). It was still warm out (and I was sweating), so the rain would have been a welcome respite from the heat.

The problem with the wind, is that it caused my timing chip to keep blowing up and hitting my foot. For a normal person, this might not have been a problem, but I have some major sensory issues (I can’t wear jewelry, wristbands, etc. otherwise I get very panic-y from things touching my skin) and this made me crazy. And not just the normal crazy, but the full blown, “getting upset and considering calling a cab to take me to my car” crazy. I was stopping every 100 feet to adjust it and try and calm myself down, but after 2 miles of this, I couldn’t take it anymore and I ripped off the timing chip and put it in the zipper pocket of my running pants. This calmed my nerves, and I picked my steady pace back up.

I was feeling good when I hit mile 9 and could tell that the temperature was rapidly dropping, because I’d get gusts of wind off the lake that would send shivers down my spine. Around mile 9.2, I heard a noise, and turned around to see the sky had opened up, and I was about to get drenched. I pulled my sunglasses off and kept hustling, trying to out run the rain, but no such luck. I crossed the finish line, and kept going for another 9 minutes, getting whipped by the wind and rain. By the time I had finished my extra mile, I was drenched and shivering. I walked a very cold mile or so back to the finish line (only to discover there were no medals, which was disappointing) and hopped in my car and headed home. It was 54 degrees (a temperature differential of 28 degrees). Brrrrrrrr.

It definitely wasn’t the greatest race of my life, but it was really nice to get a training run in alone, because I think I’ll be running the Dallas Marathon sans a running partner, which can definitely be more challenging (if anyone reading this knows someone who runs an 8:30-9:30 minute mile doing the FULL Dallas Marathon that’d like to run with me, please reach out to me, I’d love a buddy on race day!).

Did any of y’all have good training runs or races this weekend? I’d love to hear about it to put on the race calendar for next year!



3 thoughts on “Dallas Running Club 15k

  1. I caught the same storm front this morning, when it reached Houston – started nearly the moment I began my run. I like rainy runs, too, so I toughed it out, but I was fairly numb once I got back to my truck. Time to shop for long sleeves and tights, I guess 🙂

    Sorry, not running Dallas, but if you want a partner for Houston, that’s right up my pace! (I would really like a sub-4:00:00 if I can, but for my first 26.2 I’m not gonna beat myself up too much – “finished” will be good for me!)

  2. I just finished a 10 k in 8:27 but I don’t think this apply to marathon time, well, I have never done a full marathon. My goal is sub 4, and I’ll push my limits to get it. Next week, my training plan marks a 24 mile run, and I’ll probably know a close marathon time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s